Wednesday, December 8, 2010

How the RIAA ruined my life...

OK, so I wanted to cover some back story here and I fell off track on Monday when I first started this thing explaining this thing was my journey to better myself,  NOT that I was dissatisfied anything or anybody in my life thus far.  So anyways,  back on track, my back story and my journey, every good comic book has a good back story and origin story folks.  The characters who don't don't last long.  When I graduated High School like most folks I was completely confused on what I wanted to with my life.  As well as determined to go to school after High School because no one else in the Kelbel family had gone to college and I was the oldest grand child on my mom's side.  Just a lot of pressure to decide.  So after not really figuring it out, I was crossed between Northwestern of Ohio, and other places, I ended up going to ITT, yeah that's right ITT Technical Center folks.
I didn't hate that, but I did hate how completely unprofessional that place was, one professor seemed like he definitely slept in his car, and another seemed like he was coming on to female students (which later came out after I left he definitely was, and was sued.)  I was also asked by a student I was partnered with and eventually befriended a little before I left, "If you could get away with it, would you rob a bank?", not just asking me kids he was in between the decision, for real.  Anyways, from there, I went to Edison Community College , Microsoft Certification Tech Degree, moved away to North Carolina.  Had some troubles with money down south, and moved back to Columbus, OH.  Met my beautiful wife, then TRANSFERRED to Wright State University and met friends I hope to have for the rest of my life.

While there, I enjoyed my time and did ok to really well in my classes a few stumbles here an there but overall it was good. While attending there I set up several contacts to get into my marketing business career.  I wanted to be a Music Label Rep, going to different stores and concerts bringing talent around for events and autographs.  Going to locations to set up displays and pushing albums, merchandising the product, just great fun I would have.  My dream job!  Anyways, I had an internship offer from Kung Fu Records if I needed it, but, I would have to fly out to L.A. and would be unpaid.  I also had a much better offer from Sony who was going to set me up with a paid internship and I would travel with the current rep to train.  HOWEVER, this was all being set up and investigated when Metallica, Napster and the RIAA decided to get into the biggest legal battle next to anything involving the rights to The Beatles catalog, and essentially DESTROYED the industry as it was known.  Sony got rid of my position weeks after my paperwork had been sent in.  At the same time I got this info, my parent contacted me at school, my dad had cancer........  Now my story shall continue next time to finish up this long back story.  I hope your all on the edge of your seat.
Meet me here!  Same Bat Channel! Same Bat Time!
-iKelbel

See me here again, same bat channel, same bat time.
iKelbel

No comments:

Post a Comment